Monday, November 28, 2016

Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Sugar Free Pancake & Waffle Mix?

I was looking for pancake mix when I came across this. I like to make pancakes for breakfast. Since I am also a diabetic, I look for things that would fit into my meal plan. I found a box of sugar free pancake / waffle mix by Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. It is not a big box like other pancake / waffle mixes. It does have a nice look to the box. I like that there is a bag inside that one can reseal.
I tried portion control. It indicated that a serving was 1/4 cup. I also reduced the eggs from 2 to 1. I added a little vegetable oil. I made three pancakes. I tried the first one by itself. I thought it was pretty good. It was not as 'fluffy' as the second and third one. I tried the second one with some butter on it. It was pretty good. The third one I heated a slice of meat with a cheese plus a little bit of sugar free syrup and butter that I heated. It was really good. They were not as thick as the ones I usually make. I think this is a delicious way to help reduce the amount of sugar in ones diet. 

I like to add things to the pancake mix before putting it on the pan. One time I added mushrooms, another time I added peas and carrots and another time cubed meat. I like being creative with it. I will be doing this with the mix above. It is good to start with a 'base' that tastes good.

With diabetes, one needs to have a meal plan that controls ones intake. This could include regular food but eaten with portion control. My recommendation is that one should check with ones diabetic educator and / or primary physician before starting any diet  or meal plan. What works for one person might not work with another. 

I think the American Diabetes Association is a great group to support since they support diabetics. They have a lot of helpful information at their site. 


No comments:

Post a Comment